- 700g steak (boneless ribeye, top sirloin, etc)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 300g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup beef stock or broth
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- Parsley, for garnish
- Hot buttered egg noodles or mashed potatoes, for serving.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF STROGANOFF
- Cut the beef across the grain into thin, bite sized strips, about 40mm by 12mm. Heat a large skillet over high medium high heat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add half the beef. Cook until well-browned, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove beef from pan to a shallow dish and repeat steps with 1 more tablespoon of butter and remaining beef.
- Lower heat to medium and add remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the empty pan. Stir in mushrooms and onion and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook until soft and dark golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Sprinkle vegetables with flour and cook for 1 minute. Add beef broth and stir until smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the beef to the pan, along with any juices and stir in the sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat until hot, but do not boil. Garnish with parsley and serve over hot egg noodles.
A great family recipe with special thanks to https://amandascookin.com/beef-stroganoff/